DWIConvert crashes with a DICOM dataset

pinter

It is an RTPlan [1], but it should recover gracefully instead of crashing. It happens if I want to load it without SlicerRT installed, so it should be reproducible easily (with vanilla Slicer).

Can somebody familiar with the converter’s internals please take a look at it?

Thanks,

csaba

[1] https://app.assembla.com/spaces/slicerrt/subversion/source/HEAD/trunk/SlicerRt/data/eclipse-8.1.20-phantom-prostate/Original/RP.1.2.246.352.71.5.2088656855.377401.20110920153647.dcm?_format=raw

Re: DWIConvert crashes with a DICOM dataset

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Csaba -

What platform were you using?  I tested on mac with a recent nightly (2017-02-15) build and everything seemed normal:

- import the data to a new database
- one new patient reported
- dialog suggests getting SlicerRT extension to load RT plan
- diffusion is the selected default loader
- try loading and dialog says it can't be loaded
- click okay and no crash

Does it crash on windows or something?

-Steve

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Csaba Pinter <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is an RTPlan [1], but it should recover gracefully instead of crashing. It happens if I want to load it without SlicerRT installed, so it should be reproducible easily (with vanilla Slicer).

Can somebody familiar with the converter’s internals please take a look at it?

Thanks,

csaba

[1] https://app.assembla.com/spaces/slicerrt/subversion/source/HEAD/trunk/SlicerRt/data/eclipse-8.1.20-phantom-prostate/Original/RP.1.2.246.352.71.5.2088656855.377401.20110920153647.dcm?_format=raw

Re: DWIConvert crashes with a DICOM dataset

pinter

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is on Windows, and it indeed doesn’t crash if I import it in a new database with another Slicer build. There may be something wrong with that specific superbuild, I’ll check.

Thanks for the quick reaction and testing it!

csaba

Re: DWIConvert crashes with a DICOM dataset

Isaiah Norton-2
Hi Csaba,

I see the crash in DWIConvert from a recent nightly (3/6) on Windows. It doesn't crash Slicer, but Windows shows the crash reporter dialog, which is certainly bad for end users.

I can't reproduce this on Mac either, though. In the past I've seen various issues with ITK exception identity. Perhaps an exception is caught and handled on Mac but left uncaught on Windows.

I would suggest to file an issue at the BRAINSTools tracker (it may have been fixed already in the recent refactoring, Slicer version hasn't been bumped yet). If you happen to have a debug build and can get a backtrace that would probably help. Otherwise I can set up a Slicer windows build and take a look.

Isaiah

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Csaba Pinter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is on Windows, and it indeed doesn’t crash if I import it in a new database with another Slicer build. There may be something wrong with that specific superbuild, I’ll check.

Thanks for the quick reaction and testing it!

csaba

Re: DWIConvert crashes with a DICOM dataset

pinter

Hi Isaiah,

Thanks for the comment! Indeed, it is an crash dialog, not an actual crash.

I’ll try to collect more information about how to reproduce it (because one of my builds produce it but two others don’t), then I’ll add an issue if I find a definitive way.

That said probably it makes sense to confirm the crash happens with the latest one - as you say there have been major improvements.