Debugging Tests for Extension

Matthew Holden-2

Hi all,

I am trying to fix the generic module tests associated with the Perk Tutor extension (see http://slicer.cdash.org/viewTest.php?onlyfailed&buildid=984514, for example).

I am trying to follow the instructions on the developers' wiki page for debugging a test: https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/Tutorials/Debug_Instructions#Debugging_a_Test.

Unfortunately, I get an error whenever I try to start debugging the qSlicer<module-name>ModuleGenericCxxTests (see attached also):

"The program can't start because qSlicer<module-name>Module.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I can successfully run the tests by building the "RUN_TESTS" project, I just cannot figure out how to debug the tests. I note that this error when debugging tests also happens when I try to debug tests for other extensions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I appreciate it!

Windows 10, 64-bit

Visual Studio 2013

Slicer 4.7.0-2017-03-07 (revision 900b422)

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew Holden

Laboratory for Percutaneous Surgery

School of Computing

Queen’s University

SlicerModuleTestError.png (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Debugging Tests for Extension

Matthew Holden-2

Hi Dzenan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I started Visual Studio using the command: Slicer.exe --VisualStudio, and I followed your provided instructions, but loading the extension solution (i.e. PerkTutor.sln) instead of the Slicer.sln solution. (I am building the extension outside the main Slicer source)

I can successfully debug tests for built-in modules using the method you provided (loading the Slicer.sln solution). But I still get the same error when I try to debug the tests for my extensions.

I attach the full output from Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Matthew

qSlicerTransformRecorderModuleCxxTests-Output.txt (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Debugging Tests for Extension

Dzenan Zukic
Hi Matthew,

did you add your extension to additional module paths in Slicer? It is found in edit menu->application settings->modules.

Regards,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Matthew Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Dzenan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I started Visual Studio using the command: Slicer.exe --VisualStudio, and I followed your provided instructions, but loading the extension solution (i.e. PerkTutor.sln) instead of the Slicer.sln solution. (I am building the extension outside the main Slicer source)

I can successfully debug tests for built-in modules using the method you provided (loading the Slicer.sln solution). But I still get the same error when I try to debug the tests for my extensions.

I attach the full output from Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Matthew

Re: Debugging Tests for Extension

Dzenan Zukic
What you could also do is start dependency walker with Slicer paths:
Slicer.exe --launch path/to/depeneds.exe
then load qSlicerTransformRecorderModuleCxxTests.exe into dependency walker and examine which DLLs are problematic. That will probably give you more insight.

Regards

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Dzenan Zukic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

pinter

Hi Matthew,

The additional launcher settings for the extension also need to be specified when starting Visual Studio with the launcher. Here is how I do it for SlicerRT:

.\S4D\Slicer-build\Slicer.exe --VisualStudio --launcher-no-splash --launcher-additional-settings ./SlicerRT_D/inner-build/AdditionalLauncherSettings.ini c:\d\SlicerRT_D\inner-build\SlicerRT.sln

csaba

Re: Debugging Tests for Extension

Matthew Holden-2

Hi Csaba, Dzenan,

Thanks for the input.

I followed the instructions from Csaba, and it is working now. I can debug the tests for the extensions. I appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Matthew

The additional launcher settings for the extension also need to be specified when starting Visual Studio with the launcher. Here is how I do it for SlicerRT:

.\S4D\Slicer-build\Slicer.exe --VisualStudio --launcher-no-splash --launcher-additional-settings ./SlicerRT_D/inner-build/AdditionalLauncherSettings.ini c:\d\SlicerRT_D\inner-build\SlicerRT.sln

csaba

Re: Debugging Tests for Extension

lasso2

Matthew, could you suggest a place where we should put this info on using AdditionalLauncherSettings.ini? (or, if you have wiki access, it would be great if you could add it)

thanks

Andras

I followed the instructions from Csaba, and it is working now. I can debug the tests for the extensions. I appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Matthew

The additional launcher settings for the extension also need to be specified when starting Visual Studio with the launcher. Here is how I do it for SlicerRT:

.\S4D\Slicer-build\Slicer.exe --VisualStudio --launcher-no-splash --launcher-additional-settings ./SlicerRT_D/inner-build/AdditionalLauncherSettings.ini c:\d\SlicerRT_D\inner-build\SlicerRT.sln

csaba

Re: Debugging Tests for Extension

Matthew Holden-2

Hi Andras,

I suppose I would add these instructions for debugging extension tests on Windows to: https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/FAQ#How_to_run_extension_tests_.3F.

I have wiki access and can add it if you agree.

Thanks,

Matthew

[...]

Yes, Matthew, please add the information to that wiki page.

Andras