Extensions server maintenance

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Folks,

More than 16000 extension build have been submitted and uploaded.

This is currently causing some issues preventing additional extension from being uploaded. See issue [1][2]

While we address the root cause, later tonight we will be removing some of the older submissions.

The plan is the following:

 - all experimental submissions/packages will be removed

 - all continuous submissions/packages will be removed

 - nightly submissions/packages older than N months will be removed.

 - all submissions/packages  with Slicer releases will be maintained.

Note:

  I arbitrarily set N = 3, after having a better understanding of the number of packages submitted per months .. will probably adjust that number.

  Before deleting the data, we will be computing/collecting statistics about the past submissions.

Let us know what you think,

Thanks
Jc

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Extensions server maintenance

Steve Pieper-2
Agreed - old experimental and continuous submissions shouldn't really be archived.

Probably we should make some kind of policy for the 'support lifetime' of a nightly build (slicer or extension).  Three months seems a little short, but is reasonable if that's the technical constraint.  Whatever we choose, we should probably build in a popup in the application warning users if they are accessing the extension manager with a version that is no longer being supported.

-Steve

[1] http://na-mic.org/Mantis/view.php?id=3613#c10688
[2] http://public.kitware.com/MidasBT/view.php?id=1057

--

dispose of the e-mail.

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: [slicer-users] Extensions server maintenance

Ron Kikinis
How about since the last stable release?

Sent from my mobile phone.

On Mar 6, 2014, at 8:41 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: [slicer-users] Extensions server maintenance

lasso2
I wanted to suggest exactly the same, as the stable release makes the earlier nightly builds obsolete.

The ability of downloading an extension (without unpacking and installing the zip fike) and installing an extension from file would provide an additional safety net for users who want to keep using and reinstalling a specific version.

Andras

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: [slicer-users] Extensions server maintenance

lasso2

Also, the download statistics should be saved for nightly extensions before they are removed. The numbers are important for grant reporting and to see how frequently each extension is used (to help decisions about how much time is invested into developing and maintaining them).

Andras

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Extensions server maintenance

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Folks,

Waiting we properly address the issue. The amount of memory associated with PHP has been increased from 256 to 512MB.

This should allow  extension to be uploaded.

Thanks for your patience,
Jc

[...]

+1 919 869 8849

dispose of the e-mail.