ITK and SimpleITK Update

Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]
Hello,

Last month ITK 4.11 was release, and the SimpleITK 1.0rc1 was just announced.

When is Slicer expected to upgrade the ITK version? Are there any expected issues?

There are a couple build issues with the IASEM extension module that should be address by updating ITK and SimpleITK.

Here are the build errors:
http://slicer.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=972017

Specifically this error:
ThirdParty/tiff/vtktiff/libtiff/tif_config.h:293:29: fatal error: vtk_tiff_mangle.h: No such file or directory

Is expected to be address by the following fix in ITK:
https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/commit/5f97ceaf85bf2f6b1cc3c0c37eff9ea883347dde

There are some linking issues with using gcc 5+ and SimpleITK that should be addressed in the update of SimpleITK.

Currently we don't know what the cause of the following error is:
  SpacingAwareCurvatureDiffusionTest.cxx:(.text.startup+0x10a): undefined reference to `itk::itkFactoryRegistration()'

Thanks,
Brad

Re: ITK and SimpleITK Update

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Brad -

I don't think we have any other particular plans to update ITK/SimpleITK.  Maybe the best is for you to create a pull request with the suggested hashes and people can test.

-Steve

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Steve,

I have created the pull request here to update ITK and SimpleITK:

I think upgrading to the latest release is a good thing to do, but it likely will need a little effort to ensure everything is operating and testing properly. As always there are some great new features and bug improvements in ITK and SimpleITK.

As this is trying to address some compilation errors for the IASEM module, it would be great something could be done promptly. A quicker solution for one issue with the IASEM module is just the following patch for ITK:

This commit could be cherry-picked onto the Slicer ITK fork, and the Superbuild hash incremented for a quicker and less risky solution.

Thanks!
Brad

On Feb 16, 2017, at 12:54 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Brad - I was able to build your new versions on my mac (10.12.3 Sierra) debug build with no problems.

Andrey said he would try on linux.

Let's continue the discussion on the pull request.

Best,
Steve