Module list in documentation not updated

Module list in documentation not updated

pinter

Hi Jc and all,

A user contacted me with questions about documentation, and it made me realize that the generated module list [1] is missing modules. What I was looking for was Film Dosimetry, but then I checked a few others that were added recently (for simplicity I checked those I recently added to the download stats module [2]), and none of them were present.

Is it possible that the module list is not updated? I think it would be really important that the newer modules also show up in the list, so if there is capacity to look into this issue, it would be great!

Thank you,

csaba

[1] https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Nightly

[2] https://github.com/fbudin69500/SlicerDeveloperToolsForExtensions/commit/c8015298b764a17820265de802ee342fe1897dbd

Re: Module list in documentation not updated

lasso2

Would it be possible to replace that page with a simple static page? It would be difficult to achieve optimal order and grouping of modules, efficient use of space, etc. and with automatic generation it is almost impossible (would require a lot of work).

Andras

Re: Module list in documentation not updated

andrey.fedorov
> simple static page

+1

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would it be possible to replace that page with a simple static page? It
> would be difficult to achieve optimal order and grouping of modules,
> efficient use of space, etc. and with automatic generation it is almost
> impossible (would require a lot of work).
>

> Andras

I agree, a simple static list would be easier to group, and could be presented in a nicer way (the list is too long now). More importantly, the script seems to fail, and we lose information.

On the long run, it would be best if most of the documentation would be generated from the source code, or every module page was on GitBooks, but I'd really like to see a usable module list for the short term too.

What I think could work is:

  1. Explicitly disable the script so that the static page is not overwritten in case the script is called again (it doesn't seem to be called for months, but something may happen)
  2. List the core modules as it was before.
    1. Module categories in the middle column instead of the many grouping options (that I’ve never used)
    2. Add static list of core modules under the three-column table
  3. Add extension names under the core modules
    1. Allow extension developers to expand the extension to individual modules if they choose to do so
  4. Update manually on changes (unfortunately it seems we have no choice)
  5. Work towards either the source-generated documentation or creating GitBooks

I’m willing to spend an hour or two creating this static page after the script is disabled.

Should we discuss at tomorrow’s hangout?

Thanks,

csaba