Philips Cartesian DICOM 3D ultrasound data import

Philips Cartesian DICOM 3D ultrasound data import

Romilde Kotzé

Hi Andras,

I’m a research student at Cambridge and I came across your public e-mail thread regarding loading Philips Cartesian 4D DICOM files into Slicer; a problem I am currently having. We want to convert Philips 4D DICOM echo files to Cartesian co-ordinates so that we can segment the data using Materialise’s Mimics software. The problem, as you probably are aware, is that due to the Philips’ proprietary format we cannot access it. From the thread it seems we are not the only people with the same problem.

I came across Slicer and tried to see if it can access our DICOM files but since I am new to the software I am somewhat struggling to get it to work. I downloaded Slicer (4.6.2) and the extensions (SlicerHeart and Sequences) as per the instructions on the Slicer website. However, when I try to patch the DICOM files the software doesn’t seem to recognise the files as Philips 4D ultrasound echo, see image below. The scan is definitely done on a Philips echo machine and a 4D echo. The DICOM file were saved directly from the machine and imported to my computer. We have not changed anything in the raw files. Is there are reason why Slicer doesn’t read the files?

I did install the latest version of Slicer as I could not find Slicer 4.5 for which the SlicerHeart and Sequences extensions were intended. Is this perhaps the reason why the files cannot be read?

Lastly, I see from the thread that it is possible to load Philips Cartesian 4D files for contouring and leaflet segmentation and possibly annulus quantification. Have you perhaps published these extensions or would you be willing, please, to share them with us?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Romilde Kotze

Chemical Engineering colour

Romilde Kotzé
PhD (Candidate) Chemical Engineering
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology
University of Cambridge
New Museums Site

Pembroke St

Cambridge
CB2 3RA

Tel: 44 (0)1223 330144
Mobile: 44 (0)7928854957

Re: Philips Cartesian DICOM 3D ultrasound data import

Romilde Kotzé

Hi all,

I’ve tried to get a hold of QLab for weeks now and I have not been successful. I’m also looking to export the co-ordinates without using QLab. I know it is possible to access the 4D echo data (http://massmail.spl.harvard.edu/public-archives/slicer-devel/2016/019431.html) but I cannot get it to work because Slicer doesn’t recognise the DICOM files as belonging to Phillips.

Ideally if I had QLab it would solve my problem but unfortunately I don’t have access to it therefore I need a work around.

Regards

Romilde