Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

12

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Murat -

Thanks for bringing this up - the problem started yesterday and didn't resolve as of this morning.  We'll start the process of investigation.

-Steve

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 2:41 AM, Murat Maga <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Mac and Linux versions are also 0K, so I am assuming there is an (build?) issue that affect all of them.

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

Fernando
Andras said recently:

You can download a few days older nightly from here (notice the offset parameter, which tells how many days we want to go back):

http://download.slicer.org/?offset=-5

Thanks Steve,

Meanwhile, is there a way to download one of the previous nightlies?

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

lasso2

After 3 days, the nightly release download is still broken! There are about 100 nightly downloads every day, so corrupted downloads for this long time means hundreds of unhappy users. The stable release is very old – missing many important fixes and improvements.

Packages are correctly built on factory computers, and download fails directly from MIDAS server, so the problem is with the MIDAS server. Maybe it has run out of space?

Jc, could you please check?

Andras

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

Installation packages are still corrupted.

Jc, can you check the Slicer MIDAS server?

Andras

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

andrey.fedorov
> There are about 100 nightly downloads every day, so corrupted downloads for this long time means hundreds of unhappy users.

It is interesting that we are getting so few complaints. Maybe most of
those 100 are automated downloads of some sort, or maybe most users
download "stable"?

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installation packages are still corrupted.
>

> Jc, can you check the Slicer MIDAS server?
>

> Andras

pinter
The need to subscribe to the mailing list is a major hurdle that many users fail to jump through. We silently lose users by not providing nightlies, and this is something that we cannot measure. I think it is a good enough solution if the link to the nightly always points to the last running version of each platform.

It's also true that most users probably download stable.

csaba

> There are about 100 nightly downloads every day, so corrupted downloads for this long time means hundreds of unhappy users.

It is interesting that we are getting so few complaints. Maybe most of those 100 are automated downloads of some sort, or maybe most users download "stable"?

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installation packages are still corrupted.
>

> Jc, can you check the Slicer MIDAS server?
>

> Andras

Based on download stats (http://download.slicer.org/download-stats/), 100/day is only the nightly version. There were about 280 downloads per day for the stable version in the past week. Downloads are from all over the world, steadily increasing in a meaningful pattern - so I don't think it is caused by robots or other artifacts.

It is interesting to note that there has been an unprecedented growth in Slicer downloads in the past year: there were about 500 downloads/week 5 years ago, 1000/week 2 years ago, 1500/week in the past year, 2400/week in the past month.
Year-over-year growth for the past 3 months is about 200% Asia, 60% Northern Europe, 50% North America, 40% Central America, the rest of the world is around 30%. It would be important to keep this momentum and not discourage users.

Signing up to a mailing list then writing an email takes a lot of effort, so most likely people don't report issues just abandon the software if they cannot install it or doesn't work as expected.

Andras

> There are about 100 nightly downloads every day, so corrupted downloads for this long time means hundreds of unhappy users.

It is interesting that we are getting so few complaints. Maybe most of those 100 are automated downloads of some sort, or maybe most users download "stable"?

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installation packages are still corrupted.
>

> Jc, can you check the Slicer MIDAS server?
>

> Andras

Hi All,

We started investigating on Friday and resumed our investigation this morning.

We are few issues:

1) packages have a null size.

2) managing users on the instance is broken. See midasplatform issue #265

The good news is that the installers are properly generated on all build machines.

We are in the process of validating fixes to the issues. As soon as this is complete and upload is restored, I will send a  more detailed report.

Moving forward ...

* we will most likely transition hosting of Slicer releases packages on Github

* we will transition to hosting testing data, extensions and data store on a modern infrastructure

* I will be documenting the plans and sharing more info in the coming hangouts.

Thanks for your patience,
Jc

--
+1 919 869 8849

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
I am in the process of verifying our robot detection methodology.  We have been using user-agent-string.info, but they recently moved to a pay-for model and our robot detector is getting out of date.  Unfortunately, when these changes happen deep in the infrastructure, it sometimes take a while to notice it (it’s a silent partial succeed rather than fail).

Will keep everyone posted.

—Mike

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 2:46 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Based on download stats (http://download.slicer.org/download-stats/), 100/day is only the nightly version. There were about 280 downloads per day for the stable version in the past week. Downloads are from all over the world, steadily increasing in a meaningful pattern - so I don't think it is caused by robots or other artifacts.
>
> It is interesting to note that there has been an unprecedented growth in Slicer downloads in the past year: there were about 500 downloads/week 5 years ago, 1000/week 2 years ago, 1500/week in the past year, 2400/week in the past month.
> Year-over-year growth for the past 3 months is about 200% Asia, 60% Northern Europe, 50% North America, 40% Central America, the rest of the world is around 30%. It would be important to keep this momentum and not discourage users.
>
> Signing up to a mailing list then writing an email takes a lot of effort, so most likely people don't report issues just abandon the software if they cannot install it or doesn't work as expected.
>
> Andras

If we do transition to GitHub, I suggest adding a "check for updates" feature (disable-able) that we could log the pings from. Otherwise we will have no stats.

We would declare that we are doing so, and only log IP, machine type, and slicer config (including extensions).

It would provide a more accurate picture of slicer use for those people who leave the checker active, and we could see how many people were using old versions.

Phoning home used to be a big deal. Now we just need to be up front, provide value from it for the user, and allow it to be turned off or run manually.

-Mike

--
+1 919 869 8849

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

andrey.fedorov
I agree.

But I also think that we should still be able to count the statistics
of "clicking the download button" on download.slicer.org,
independently of whether the actual binary is coming from GitHub or
Midas, right?

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for the phone home with full transparency and easy opt out.
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If we do transition to GitHub, I suggest adding a "check for updates"
>> feature (disable-able) that we could log the pings from. Otherwise we will
>> have no stats.
>>
>> We would declare that we are doing so, and only log IP, machine type, and
>> slicer config (including extensions).
>>
>> It would provide a more accurate picture of slicer use for those people
>> who leave the checker active, and we could see how many people were using
>> old versions.
>>
>> Phoning home used to be a big deal. Now we just need to be up front,
>> provide value from it for the user, and allow it to be turned off or run
>> manually.
>>
>> -Mike
>>

>> ________________________________

Yes, collecting usage stats is very long overdue.

Michael, would you be able to set up a backend that can receive data from Slicer and offer a web GUI similar to download stats?

Andras

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
It isn’t clear to me that people will actually go to download.slicer.org if they can go to straight to GitHub.  I think we will leak a lot of hits. MIDAS also stored a lot of metadata about the versions.  This data would need to be replicated with some sort of sidecar file or CSV.

—Mike

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 5:57 PM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I agree.
>
> But I also think that we should still be able to count the statistics
> of "clicking the download button" on download.slicer.org,
> independently of whether the actual binary is coming from GitHub or
> Midas, right?
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for the phone home with full transparency and easy opt out.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If we do transition to GitHub, I suggest adding a "check for updates"
>>> feature (disable-able) that we could log the pings from. Otherwise we will
>>> have no stats.
>>>
>>> We would declare that we are doing so, and only log IP, machine type, and
>>> slicer config (including extensions).
>>>
>>> It would provide a more accurate picture of slicer use for those people
>>> who leave the checker active, and we could see how many people were using
>>> old versions.
>>>
>>> Phoning home used to be a big deal. Now we just need to be up front,
>>> provide value from it for the user, and allow it to be turned off or run
>>> manually.
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>>

>>> ________________________________

I think GitHub’s built-in basic stats and actual usage reporting from installed Slicer instances should be enough information.

Andras

It isn’t clear to me that people will actually go to download.slicer.org if they can go to straight to GitHub.  I think we will leak a lot of hits. MIDAS also stored a lot of metadata about the versions.  This data would need to be replicated with some sort of sidecar file or CSV.

—Mike

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 5:57 PM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I agree.
>
> But I also think that we should still be able to count the statistics
> of "clicking the download button" on download.slicer.org,
> independently of whether the actual binary is coming from GitHub or
> Midas, right?
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for the phone home with full transparency and easy opt out.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If we do transition to GitHub, I suggest adding a "check for updates"
>>> feature (disable-able) that we could log the pings from. Otherwise we will
>>> have no stats.
>>>
>>> We would declare that we are doing so, and only log IP, machine type, and
>>> slicer config (including extensions).
>>>
>>> It would provide a more accurate picture of slicer use for those people
>>> who leave the checker active, and we could see how many people were using
>>> old versions.
>>>
>>> Phoning home used to be a big deal. Now we just need to be up front,
>>> provide value from it for the user, and allow it to be turned off or run
>>> manually.
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>>

>>> ________________________________

Thank you Jc, nightly release download works well now.

Andras

--

+1 919 869 8849

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Slicers,

I confirm all issues have been addressed. I am currently drafting a post-portem report with more details.

Thanks for your patience,
Jc

--

--
+1 919 869 8849

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
In a couple weeks, yes.

But we should think about the data on the channel as well:

* what information should we send (version, extensions installed, IP)?  Remember to deal with self-compiled versions.

* what information should come back (latest stable and nightly versions of slicer and each extension?  special notices like “the version of extension X has a critical bug and we recommend you update immediately”?)

* how do we actually do an update?

Logging the stats is relatively straightforward — probably the easiest part of the process.  Rendering it meaningfully will take a little time to put together.

—Mike

Re: [slicer-users] trying to get nightly for windows, but it is only 20K

andrey.fedorov
To minimize the extent of reinventing the wheel, and provide a very
easy to implement solution - how about we embed Google Analytics into
the web components that we already have in place? We could add those
trackers to ExtensionManager view, DataStore, jqPlot view, and that
already might give us helpful insights.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a couple weeks, yes.
>
> But we should think about the data on the channel as well:
>
> * what information should we send (version, extensions installed, IP)?
> Remember to deal with self-compiled versions.
>
> * what information should come back (latest stable and nightly versions of
> slicer and each extension?  special notices like “the version of extension X
> has a critical bug and we recommend you update immediately”?)
>
> * how do we actually do an update?
>
> Logging the stats is relatively straightforward — probably the easiest part
> of the process.  Rendering it meaningfully will take a little time to put
> together.
>
> —Mike
>

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 6:06 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, collecting usage stats is very long overdue.
>
> Michael, would you be able to set up a backend that can receive data from
> Slicer and offer a web GUI similar to download stats?
>
> Andras

Based on historic conversations, some people (including possibly me) might find that kind of compulsory third-party monitoring to be unexpected and undesirable. It might also cause internal components to fail or stall in China and other firewall states.

While easy (-ish), it would also scattered and piecemeal.

—Mike