Segmentation Fault

Andrew Wiles-2
Hello,

I am trying to build the latest version of Slicer on openSUSE Linux.  Everything builds fine, but when I run the program I get a segmentation fault.  I get the same failed tests that already exist on the nightly builds.  Is the trunk currently broken?  Can someone point me to the last build that works?  I also have Slicer 3.4 built and working fine, but I suspect that there are some new features that I want to take advantage of since my focus is on IGT (e.g. there is an IGT Navigation Module in the latest version).

Cheers.
Andrew

--------------------
Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
Research Scientist, Medical Division
NDI
103 Randall Drive
Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
Website: www.ndigital.com

Re: Segmentation Fault

Aucoin, Nicole
Is this a fresh build? I had some problems when I did a --update to get
the newest versions of the support libraries and didn't clear out the
old directories (especially Insight and Insight-build, I was getting seg
faults in the gdcm code).
Do you have all the support libraries separate for the trunk build and
the 3.4 one? They use different versions of a lot of libraries now.

Nicole

Andrew Wiles wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build the latest version of Slicer on openSUSE Linux.  Everything builds fine, but when I run the program I get a segmentation fault.  I get the same failed tests that already exist on the nightly builds.  Is the trunk currently broken?  Can someone point me to the last build that works?  I also have Slicer 3.4 built and working fine, but I suspect that there are some new features that I want to take advantage of since my focus is on IGT (e.g. there is an IGT Navigation Module in the latest version).
>
> Cheers.
> Andrew
>
> --------------------
> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
> Research Scientist, Medical Division
> NDI
> 103 Randall Drive
> Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
> Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
> Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
> Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
> Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
> Website: www.ndigital.com

Re: Segmentation Fault

Andrew Wiles-2
Hi Nicole,

I did a fresh build yesterday and an update this morning (to catch any possible fixes).  I have the 3.4 in a separate directory and have used the getbuildtest.tcl script for each (i.e. each has used its own VTK libraries etc.).

Should I delete out the support libraries and retry?

Cheers.
A.

--------------------

Andrew Wiles wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build the latest version of Slicer on openSUSE Linux.  Everything builds fine, but when I run the program I get a segmentation fault.  I get the same failed tests that already exist on the nightly builds.  Is the trunk currently broken?  Can someone point me to the last build that works?  I also have Slicer 3.4 built and working fine, but I suspect that there are some new features that I want to take advantage of since my focus is on IGT (e.g. there is an IGT Navigation Module in the latest version).
>
> Cheers.
> Andrew
>
> --------------------
> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
> Research Scientist, Medical Division
> NDI
> 103 Randall Drive
> Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
> Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
> Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
> Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
> Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
> Website: www.ndigital.com

Re: Segmentation Fault

Andrew Wiles-2
Hi Nicole,

1) ./bin/Slicer3   ....  crashes.
2) ./bin/Slicer3 --no-modules  .... crashes.
3) ./bin/Slicer3-real  .... runs fine.
4) ./bin/Slicer3-real --no-modules  .... runs fine.

Backtrace from 1)

0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1  0xb573a2d1 in init_slicer () at
/home/awiles/src/SlicerLatest/Slicer3/Base/GUI/Python/_slicerPython.cxx:544
#2  0x08061958 in Slicer3_main (argc=@0xbfffed40, argv=0xbfffedc4)
    at /home/awiles/src/SlicerLatest/Slicer3/Applications/GUI/Slicer3.cxx:512
#3  0x08079ac7 in main (argc=3, argv=0xb570dc20)
    at /home/awiles/src/SlicerLatest/Slicer3/Applications/GUI/Slicer3.cxx:2447

Does this help you?

A.

--------------------
Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
Research Scientist, Medical Division
NDI
103 Randall Drive
Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
Website: www.ndigital.com
--------------------

>>> Nicole Aucoin <[hidden email]> 12/23/2009 12:04 PM >>>
Hi Andrew,

If you've got gdb on your linux machine, first try narrowing down where
it's crashing (does it crash if you start up with the --no-modules flag?):
start gdb in the Slicer3-build directory
file bin/Slicer3-real
run
(wait for crash)
bt (to get a backtrace, and let me know what it says)

Nicole

Andrew Wiles wrote:

> Hi Nicole,
>
> I did a fresh build yesterday and an update this morning (to catch any possible fixes).  I have the 3.4 in a separate directory and have used the getbuildtest.tcl script for each (i.e. each has used its own VTK libraries etc.).
>
> Should I delete out the support libraries and retry?
>
> Cheers.
> A.
>
> --------------------
> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
> Research Scientist, Medical Division
> NDI
> 103 Randall Drive
> Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
> Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
> Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
> Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
> Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
> Website: www.ndigital.com
> --------------------

> Is this a fresh build? I had some problems when I did a --update to get
> the newest versions of the support libraries and didn't clear out the
> old directories (especially Insight and Insight-build, I was getting seg
> faults in the gdcm code).
> Do you have all the support libraries separate for the trunk build and
> the 3.4 one? They use different versions of a lot of libraries now.
>
> Nicole
>
> Andrew Wiles wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to build the latest version of Slicer on openSUSE Linux.  Everything builds fine, but when I run the program I get a segmentation fault.  I get the same failed tests that already exist on the nightly builds.  Is the trunk currently broken?  Can someone point me to the last build that works?  I also have Slicer 3.4 built and working fine, but I suspect that there are some new features that I want to take advantage of since my focus is on IGT (e.g. there is an IGT Navigation Module in the latest version).
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Andrew
>>
>> --------------------
>> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
>> Research Scientist, Medical Division
>> NDI
>> 103 Randall Drive
>> Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
>> Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
>> Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
>> Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
>> Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
>> Website: www.ndigital.com

Re: Segmentation Fault

Aucoin, Nicole
It looks like a Python issue, so until one of the Python gurus can help
you out, try disabling python in Slicer3/slicer_variables.tcl, change:
set ::USE_PYTHON "ON"
set ::USE_PYTHON "OFF"
and re-run getbuildtest.tcl

Nicole

Andrew Wiles wrote:

> [...]
>> faults in the gdcm code).
>> Do you have all the support libraries separate for the trunk build and
>> the 3.4 one? They use different versions of a lot of libraries now.
>>
>> Nicole
>>
>> Andrew Wiles wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to build the latest version of Slicer on openSUSE Linux.  Everything builds fine, but when I run the program I get a segmentation fault.  I get the same failed tests that already exist on the nightly builds.  Is the trunk currently broken?  Can someone point me to the last build that works?  I also have Slicer 3.4 built and working fine, but I suspect that there are some new features that I want to take advantage of since my focus is on IGT (e.g. there is an IGT Navigation Module in the latest version).

Re: Segmentation Fault

pieper
Administrator
Hi Andrew -

What happens if you run the launcher at the top level of Slicer3-build?
  That's the one that is used for the actual tests (not the one in
Slicer3-build/bin - sorry about the confusion).

-Steve

Nicole Aucoin wrote:

> [...]
>>> A.
>>>
>>> --------------------
>>> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
>>> Research Scientist, Medical Division
>>> NDI
>>> 103 Randall Drive
>>> Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
>>> Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
>>> Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
>>> Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
>>> Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
>>> Website: www.ndigital.com
>>> --------------------

>>> Is this a fresh build? I had some problems when I did a --update to get
>>> the newest versions of the support libraries and didn't clear out the
>>> old directories (especially Insight and Insight-build, I was getting seg
>>> faults in the gdcm code).
>>> Do you have all the support libraries separate for the trunk build and
>>> the 3.4 one? They use different versions of a lot of libraries now.

Re: Segmentation Fault

Luis Ibanez
Andrew,

Thanks for the detailed report.

Just to add a couple fo cents...

>From your backtrace, the crash seems to happen at

Base/GUI/Python/_slicerPython.cxx : 544

   542 PyMODINIT_FUNC init_slicer(void) {
   543  // import_libnumarray();
   544  import_array();
   545  Py_InitModule ( "_slicer", moduleMethods );
   546 }

which is the call to "import_array()"

      Luis

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Andrew Wiles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> faults in the gdcm code).
>> Do you have all the support libraries separate for the trunk build and
>> the 3.4 one? They use different versions of a lot of libraries now.
>>
>> Nicole
>>
>> Andrew Wiles wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to build the latest version of Slicer on openSUSE Linux.  Everything builds fine, but when I run the program I get a segmentation fault.  I get the same failed tests that already exist on the nightly builds.  Is the trunk currently broken?  Can someone point me to the last build that works?  I also have Slicer 3.4 built and working fine, but I suspect that there are some new features that I want to take advantage of since my focus is on IGT (e.g. there is an IGT Navigation Module in the latest version).

Re: Segmentation Fault

Andrew Wiles-2
Hi Steve,

I had already made the change to turn python off and rebuild it.  It has just finished and both ./bin/Slicer3 and ./Slicer3 in the build directory work without the Seg Fault.  Of course the memory leaks are still present and the same tests all fail.

I will rebuild it with it python turned on again and let you know how it goes.  Let me know if you need me to submit a bug report (along with instructions on how to do that -- I am assuming there is a wiki page for that :).

Cheers.
Andrew

--------------------

Nicole Aucoin wrote:

> [...]
>>> A.
>>>
>>> --------------------
>>> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
>>> Research Scientist, Medical Division
>>> NDI
>>> 103 Randall Drive
>>> Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
>>> Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
>>> Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
>>> Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
>>> Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
>>> Website: www.ndigital.com
>>> --------------------

>>> Is this a fresh build? I had some problems when I did a --update to get
>>> the newest versions of the support libraries and didn't clear out the
>>> old directories (especially Insight and Insight-build, I was getting seg
>>> faults in the gdcm code).
>>> Do you have all the support libraries separate for the trunk build and
>>> the 3.4 one? They use different versions of a lot of libraries now.

Re: Segmentation Fault

Luis Ibanez
Steve,

BTW,
Could you explain why is that we have two
separate executables ?

* Slicer3-build/Slicer3         size  161725
* Slicer3-build/bin/Slicer3   size  100039

The one in Slicer3-build/bin is build by "make",
and the one in Slicer3-build is only created by
make "rebuild_cache"

It seems strange to use a different executable
for the tests.

   Thanks for any hint,

        Luis

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew -
>
> What happens if you run the launcher at the top level of Slicer3-build?
>  That's the one that is used for the actual tests (not the one in
> Slicer3-build/bin - sorry about the confusion).
>
> -Steve
>
> Nicole Aucoin wrote:
>> It looks like a Python issue, so until one of the Python gurus can help
>> you out, try disabling python in Slicer3/slicer_variables.tcl, change:
>> set ::USE_PYTHON "ON"
>> set ::USE_PYTHON "OFF"
>> and re-run getbuildtest.tcl
>>
>> Nicole
>>
>> Andrew Wiles wrote:
>>> Hi Nicole,

>>> 1) ./bin/Slicer3   ....  crashes.
>>> 2) ./bin/Slicer3 --no-modules  .... crashes.
>>> 3) ./bin/Slicer3-real  .... runs fine.
>>> 4) ./bin/Slicer3-real --no-modules  .... runs fine.
>>>
>>> Backtrace from 1)
>>>
>>> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>>> 0x00000000 in ?? ()
>>> (gdb) bt
>>> #0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
>>> #1  0xb573a2d1 in init_slicer () at
>>> /home/awiles/src/SlicerLatest/Slicer3/Base/GUI/Python/_slicerPython.cxx:544
>>> #2  0x08061958 in Slicer3_main (argc=@0xbfffed40, argv=0xbfffedc4)
>>>     at /home/awiles/src/SlicerLatest/Slicer3/Applications/GUI/Slicer3.cxx:512
>>> #3  0x08079ac7 in main (argc=3, argv=0xb570dc20)
>>>     at /home/awiles/src/SlicerLatest/Slicer3/Applications/GUI/Slicer3.cxx:2447
>>>
>>> Does this help you?
>>>
>>> A.
>>>

>>> --------------------
>>> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
>>> Research Scientist, Medical Division
>>> NDI
>>> 103 Randall Drive
>>> Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
>>> Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
>>> Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
>>> Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
>>> Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
>>> Website: www.ndigital.com
>>> --------------------

>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> If you've got gdb on your linux machine, first try narrowing down where
>>> it's crashing (does it crash if you start up with the --no-modules flag?):
>>> start gdb in the Slicer3-build directory
>>> file bin/Slicer3-real
>>> run
>>> (wait for crash)
>>> bt (to get a backtrace, and let me know what it says)
>>>
>>> Nicole

Re: Segmentation Fault

pieper
Administrator
Hi Luis -

I don't know the details of the one in bin - I didn't add it and as far
as I know it's not maintained and should probably be removed (I don't
believe any tests use it - they should all be using the top level one).
  There's been some debate over the years about how best to build this
launcher and we may revisit it for the Qt version.

The one at the top level gets copied into the build directory by cmake.

-Steve

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Steve,
>
> BTW,
> Could you explain why is that we have two
> separate executables ?
>
> * Slicer3-build/Slicer3         size  161725
> * Slicer3-build/bin/Slicer3   size  100039
>
> The one in Slicer3-build/bin is build by "make",
> and the one in Slicer3-build is only created by
> make "rebuild_cache"
>
> It seems strange to use a different executable
> for the tests.
>
>    Thanks for any hint,
>
>         Luis

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Andrew -
>>
>> What happens if you run the launcher at the top level of Slicer3-build?
>>  That's the one that is used for the actual tests (not the one in
>> Slicer3-build/bin - sorry about the confusion).
>>
>> -Steve
>>
>> Nicole Aucoin wrote:
>>> It looks like a Python issue, so until one of the Python gurus can help
>>> you out, try disabling python in Slicer3/slicer_variables.tcl, change:
>>> set ::USE_PYTHON "ON"
>>> set ::USE_PYTHON "OFF"
>>> and re-run getbuildtest.tcl
>>>
>>> Nicole

Re: Segmentation Fault

Andrew Wiles-2
Steve,

One last thing to report on this thread.  I rebuilt Slicer with Python turned back on.

1) ./Slicer3-build/bin/Slicer3 .... crashes with the seg fault.
2) ./Slicer3-build/Slicer3 .... works fine (with the already reported memory leaks and failing tests).  However, an error on the command line appears:  ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import.

I guess the conclusion here is to use the launcher executable.  However, there are instructions here and there that appear on the Wiki that refer to the executable in the ./bin directory.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.
Andrew