Slicer Failing tests : vtkDebugLeaks

Luis Ibanez
JC, Stephen, Steve,

As Steve pointed out recently, one of the weakness of our
current testing infrastructure is that when tests are run
locally with ctest, they do not report failures due to
memory leaks (vtkDebugLeaks).

The failures only appear when the builds are posted in the
CDash dashboard.

In IGSTK we did the following trick in order to force these
cases to fail locally:

   1) Create a vtkOutputWindow derived class

   2) Connect it as instance, so it catches all the
       messages from Debug leaks

   3) If any debug leaks messages are seen, then
       at the end of the test we report a failure.

Unless there are any objections [ or better ideas :-)    ],
I'll start inserting this same trick in the tests in

             Slicer3/Base/QTCore

Since this will always be the same kind of code for
every test, ideally, we should pack all this into a
Macro that is put at the end of the test .cxx files.

       Luis

Re: Slicer Failing tests : vtkDebugLeaks

pieper
Administrator
Thanks Luis!  Yes, that's exactly the trick we need.

-Steve