Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi All,

Once integrated, PR #684 will allow to customize any external projects setting cache or environment variables of the form:

  Slicer_<proj>_GIT_REPOSITORY
  Slicer_<proj>_GIT_TAG

See https://github.com/Slicer/Slicer/pull/684 and http://na-mic.org/Mantis/view.php?id=4148

Thanks
Jc

--
+1 919 869 8849

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Corresponding changes have been integrated into master.

IMPORTANT: Existing build directory should be updated using:

 cmake -USlicer_VTKv7_GIT_REPOSITORY -USlicer_VTKv7_GIT_TAG .

Thanks
Jc

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Once integrated, PR #684 will allow to customize any external projects setting cache or environment variables of the form:

  Slicer_<proj>_GIT_REPOSITORY
  Slicer_<proj>_GIT_TAG

See https://github.com/Slicer/Slicer/pull/684 and http://na-mic.org/Mantis/view.php?id=4148

Thanks
Jc

--

+1 919 869 8849

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

pinter

Hi Jc,

I updated and wanted to build on Windows.

I got an error, so first I tried what you suggested. I got the same error, so I did a completely clean build, and the very same error appears again, see below. The superbuild doesn’t seem to be able to check out most of the dependencies.

Can you please check and confirm that this is indeed an error? Again, I’m doing a clean build, so not sure what I may do wrong… If it’s an error and easy to fix, please do soon, otherwise please revert for the time being.

Thanks,

csaba

------ For VTK ------

28>  Creating directories for 'VTKv7'

28>  Performing download step (git clone) for 'VTKv7'

28>  fatal: repository 'github.com/Slicer/VTK.git' does not exist

28>  fatal: repository 'github.com/Slicer/VTK.git' does not exist

28>  fatal: repository 'github.com/Slicer/VTK.git' does not exist

28>  -- Had to git clone more than once:

28>            3 times.

28>  CMake Error at VTKv7-prefix/tmp/VTKv7-gitclone.cmake:56 (message):

28>    Failed to clone repository: 'github.com/Slicer/VTK.git'

------ For ITK, CTK, ParameterSerializer, etcetc ------

41>  CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package):

41>    By not providing "FindITK.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has

41>    asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "ITK", but

41>    CMake did not find one.

41>

41>    Could not find a package configuration file provided by "ITK" with any of

41>    the following names:

41>

41>      ITKConfig.cmake

41>      itk-config.cmake

41>

41>    Add the installation prefix of "ITK" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set "ITK_DIR"

41>    to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "ITK" provides a

41>    separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been installed.

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

pinter

In case it helps: VTK build succeeded at the clean build, but then ITK and others didn’t. I only get the VTK error when trying to build a second time without cleaning the build tree.

csaba

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Csaba,

Thanks for the report.

Could you confirm that you did a clean build by also restarting cmake-gui (or clearing the cache using File -> Delete Cache) ?

Jc

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Csaba Pinter <[hidden email]> wrote:

In case it helps: VTK build succeeded at the clean build, but then ITK and others didn’t. I only get the VTK error when trying to build a second time without cleaning the build tree.

csaba

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

pinter

I deleted everything in the build tree, including CMakeCache.txt (If I start cmake-gui at that point it will not find anything)

Then I configured the usual way: cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64" -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=c:/d/Support/qt-4.8.7-64-vs2013-rel/bin/qmake.exe c:/d/Slicer4

csaba

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Yang, Xiaochen

Hi Csaba

I once had similar error when compiled on windows using my laptop with weak wifi connected. I guess it might be the internet connection problem since I change to my desktop with net wire connected, no such errors happened.

Anyway, compiling the slicer source code is torturing, finally when you got all built successfully, the world is beautiful again.

Thanks,

Xiaochen

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Do you have the environment variable Slicer_VTKv7_GIT_REPOSITORY set ?

If you add these statements:

  message(STATUS "Slicer_VTKv7_GIT_REPOSITORY:${Slicer_VTKv7_GIT_REPOSITORY}")
  message(STATUS "Slicer_VTKv7_GIT_TAG:${Slicer_VTKv7_GIT_TAG}")

after these lines:

Jc

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Csaba Pinter <[hidden email]> wrote:

I deleted everything in the build tree, including CMakeCache.txt (If I start cmake-gui at that point it will not find anything)

Then I configured the usual way: cmake -G "Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64" -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=c:/d/Support/qt-4.8.7-64-vs2013-rel/bin/qmake.exe c:/d/Slicer4

csaba

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Xiaochen,

I once had similar error when compiled on windows using my laptop with weak wifi connected. I guess it might be the internet connection problem since I change to my desktop with net wire connected, no such errors happened.

Thanks for sharing the tip.

Anyway, compiling the slicer source code is torturing, finally when you got all built successfully, the world is beautiful again.

Do you recall any specific issues ?

Jc

--
+1 919 869 8849

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

pinter

It turns out that the Slicer source tree was polluted by generated CMake files (probably when I ran the command you suggested from the wrong place), and that may have caused some of these issues. I started build again, I’ll let you know how it goes.

csaba

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Yang, Xiaochen

Hi Jean

Yeah, I got a bunch of errors when compiling slicer 4.7 using VS2010 on Win7. I would like to share my tips and errors to everybody:

Tip 1: Use newest CMAKE version (I am using CMake 3.7.2)

Tip 2: Use short path for build, for example, put code at ‘C:/Slicer’, build at ‘C:/build’

Tip 3: If there are errors related to ‘Slicer_USE_NUMPY’ you cannot fixed, then unselect it in CMake

Tip 4: Chose ‘Release’ mode in visual studio

Error 1:

44>C:\Slicer\libs\vtkitk\itkMorphologicalContourInterpolator.hxx(150): error C2668: 'pow' : ambiguous call to overloaded function [C:\build\Slicer-build\Libs\vtkITK\vtkITK.vcxproj]

44>C:\Slicer\libs\vtkitk\itkMorphologicalContourInterpolator.hxx(153): fatal error C1903: unable to recover from previous error(s); stopping compilation [C:\build\Slicer-build\Libs\vtkITK\vtkITK.vcxproj]

 Change:

m_MinAlignIters( pow( 2, TImage::ImageDimension ) ), // smaller of this and pixel count of the search image

to:

m_MinAlignIters( pow( 2, (double)TImage::ImageDimension ) ), // smaller of this and pixel count of the search image

Change:

m_MaxAlignIters( pow( 6, TImage::ImageDimension ) ), // bigger of this and root of pixel count of the search image

to:

m_MaxAlignIters( pow( 6, (double)TImage::ImageDimension ) ), // bigger of this and root of pixel count of the search image

Error 2:

4>..\..\..\..\Slicer\Libs\vtkAddon\vtkAddonMathUtilities.cxx(264): error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function [C:\build\Slicer-build\Libs\vtkAddon\vtkAddon.vcxproj]

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(127): could be 'double sqrt(double)'

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(541): or       'float sqrt(float)'

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(589): or       'long double sqrt(long double)'

44>            while trying to match the argument list '(unsigned __int64)'

 Change:

int dimension = std::sqrt(elements.size()) + 0.5; // Since conversion to int just truncates

to:

int dimension = std::sqrt((double)elements.size()) + 0.5; // Since conversion to int just truncates

Error 3:

44>C:\Slicer\libs\vtkitk\itkMorphologicalContourInterpolator.hxx(1284): error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function [C:\build\Slicer-build\Libs\vtkITK\vtkITK.vcxproj]

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(589): could be 'long double sqrt(long double)'

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(541): or       'float sqrt(float)'

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(127): or       'double sqrt(double)'

44>            while trying to match the argument list '(unsigned long)'

44>            C:\Slicer\libs\vtkitk\itkMorphologicalContourInterpolator.hxx(1243) : while compiling class template member function 'itk::Index<VIndexDimension> itk::MorphologicalContourInterpolator<TImage>::Align(itk::SmartPointer<TObjectType> &,long,itk::SmartPointer<TObjectType> &,const std::vector<_Ty> &)'

 Change:

IdentifierType maxIter = std::max( m_MaxAlignIters, (IdentifierType)sqrt( searchRegion.GetNumberOfPixels() ) );

to:

IdentifierType maxIter = std::max( m_MaxAlignIters, (IdentifierType)sqrt( (double)searchRegion.GetNumberOfPixels() ) );

Error 4:

44>..\..\..\..\..\..\Slicer\Libs\MRML\Core\Testing\vtkMRMLSceneTest2.cxx(41): error C2039: 'back_inserter' : is not a member of 'std' [C:\build\Slicer-build\Libs\MRML\Core\Testing\MRMLCoreCxxTests.vcxproj]

44>..\..\..\..\..\..\Slicer\Libs\MRML\Core\Testing\vtkMRMLSceneTest2.cxx(41): error C3861: 'back_inserter': identifier not found [C:\build\Slicer-build\Libs\MRML\Core\Testing\MRMLCoreCxxTests.vcxproj]

 Add:

#include <iterator>

Error 5:

44>..\..\..\..\..\..\Slicer\Modules\Loadable\Segmentations\EditorEffects\qSlicerSegmentEditorScissorsEffect.cxx(389): error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function [C:\build\Slicer-build\Modules\Loadable\Segmentations\EditorEffects\qSlicerSegmentationsEditorEffects.vcxproj]

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(589): could be 'long double sqrt(long double)'

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(541): or       'float sqrt(float)'

44>            c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(127): or       'double sqrt(double)'

44>            while trying to match the argument list '(int)'

 Change:

double radius = sqrt((eventPosition[0] - this->DragStartPosition[0])*(eventPosition[0] - this->DragStartPosition[0])

          + (eventPosition[1] - this->DragStartPosition[1])*(eventPosition[1] - this->DragStartPosition[1]));

to:

double radius = sqrt((double)(eventPosition[0] - this->DragStartPosition[0])*(eventPosition[0] - this->DragStartPosition[0])

          + (eventPosition[1] - this->DragStartPosition[1])*(eventPosition[1] - this->DragStartPosition[1]));

Error 6

'ACPCTransformCLP.h': No such file or directory

'AddScalarVolumesCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSDWICleanupCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSDemonWarpCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSFitCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSLabelStatsCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSROIAutoCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSResampleCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSResizeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSStripRotationCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BRAINSTransformConvertCLP.h': No such file or directory

'BSplineToDeformationFieldCLP.h': No such file or directory

'CLIModule4TestCLP.h': No such file or directory

'CLIROITestCLP.h': No such file or directory

'CastScalarVolumeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'CheckerBoardFilterCLP.h': No such file or directory

'CreateDICOMSeriesCLP.h': No such file or directory

'CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionCLP.h': No such file or directory

'DWIConvertCLP.h': No such file or directory

'DiffusionTensorTestCLP.h': No such file or directory

'EMSegmentCommandLineCLP.h': No such file or directory

'EMSegmentTransformToNewFormatCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ExecutionModelTourCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ExpertAutomatedRegistrationCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ExtractSkeletonCLP.h': No such file or directory

'FiducialRegistrationCLP.h': No such file or directory

'GaussianBlurImageFilterCLP.h': No such file or directory

'GradientAnisotropicDiffusionCLP.h': No such file or directory

'GrayscaleFillHoleImageFilterCLP.h': No such file or directory

'GrayscaleGrindPeakImageFilterCLP.h': No such file or directory

'GrayscaleModelMakerCLP.h': No such file or directory

'HistogramMatchingCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ImageLabelCombineCLP.h': No such file or directory

'IslandRemovalCLP.h': No such file or directory

'LabelMapSmoothingCLP.h': No such file or directory

'MaskScalarVolumeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'MedianImageFilterCLP.h': No such file or directory

'MergeModelsCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ModelMakerCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ModelToLabelMapCLP.h': No such file or directory

'MultiplyScalarVolumesCLP.h': No such file or directory

'N4ITKBiasFieldCorrectionCLP.h': No such file or directory

'OrientScalarVolumeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'OtsuThresholdImageFilterCLP.h': No such file or directory

'PETStandardUptakeValueComputationCLP.h': No such file or directory

'PerformMetricTestCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ProbeVolumeWithModelCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ResampleDTIVolumeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ResampleScalarVectorDWIVolumeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ResampleScalarVolumeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'RobustStatisticsSegmenterCLP.h': No such file or directory

'SimpleRegionGrowingSegmentationCLP.h': No such file or directory

'SubtractScalarVolumesCLP.h': No such file or directory

'TestGridTransformRegistrationCLP.h': No such file or directory

'ThresholdScalarVolumeCLP.h': No such file or directory

'VBRAINSDemonWarpCLP.h': No such file or directory

'VotingBinaryHoleFillingImageFilterCLP.h': No such file or directory

 Solution:

Make the path short for CMake! For example, put Slicer source code at C:/Slicer, put the build files at C:/build

Thanks,

Xiaochen

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

pinter

Jc, so far so good, sorry for the noise.

Xiaochen, VS2010 is officially not supported. VS2008, 12, and 13 are. Also the issues you identified are well documented here:

https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/Build_Instructions#Windows_2

If you bump into build problems, please make sure you review this page.

csaba

It turns out that the Slicer source tree was polluted by generated CMake files (probably when I ran the command you suggested from the wrong place), and that may have caused some of these issues. I started build again, I’ll let you know how it goes.

csaba

Re: Support customization of external project using cache or env variable

Dzenan Zukic
Hitting the same issue. Re-building causes Failed to clone repository: 'github.com/Slicer/VTK.git'

Dženan Zukić, PhD, Senior R&D Engineer, Kitware (Carrboro, N.C.)