Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Arnaud Soulié
Hello everybody,

I developed and built my extension on a specific environnement (Mac OS X 64bits 10.8) with a Slicer revision matching the recent 4.4.0 release (that is r23776, if I’m not wrong)
But when I tried to add my module path to the "module paths" in the application settings, and subsequently lauched Slicer, I noticed that my extension could not be loaded and I got the following error message:

The plugin '/Users/arnaudsoulie/xyzirm-build/lib/Slicer-4.4/qt-loadable-modules/libqSlicerloadable_modModule.dylib' uses incompatible Qt library. Expected build key "macosx macx-cocoa llvm no-pkg-config", got "macosx macx-cocoa clang no-pkg-config"

Does someone have any idea ? I would really like to fix this issue as this would really simplify the process of "using" my extension for non developers.

Arnaud SOULIE
Ingénieur de recherche / Research engineer

ICube, Université de Strasbourg, CNRS
équipe AVR
Bâtiment IRCAD/EITS, 2eme étage
Hôpitaux universitaires
1, place de l'Hôpital
67091 Strasbourg, FRANCE
http://icube-avr.unistra.fr/en

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Isaiah Norton-2
I believe the problem is that your self-compiled extension is linked against a different version of Qt than was used to build Slicer. The build key "macosx macx-cocoa llvm no-pkg-config" comes from the Slicer release package, which is built using the "qt-everywhere-opensource-build-4.8.6" release package from the Qt website:

Note that, as indicated by the build key, the 4.8 Qt releases are built using the llvm-gcc frontend. On the other hand, the Slicer release is built using Clang (http://slicer.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=720249). This is fine, and likewise, you can continue to build your extension using Clang, but you need to use the same upstream Qt build.

I would guess that you installed Qt from homebrew ? As far as I know, Qt 4.8 release build should work fine on OS X 10.8. There are problems installing 4.8 on 10.11 / El Capitan, but I don't think an extension built with the 10.11 SDK would work against the Slicer release anyway, because the release is built against an earlier SDK version.

Hope that helps.
Isaiah

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Arnaud Soulié
Alright ! I see better what’s going on.
It is true that I installed qt from homebrew.
I’ll try to install Qt following the instruction given on the slicer wiki and rebuild Slicer to see if that solves my problem.
Anyway, thank you very much Isaiah for your precious help !
As I don’t know what a build key is, I couldn’t understand the error message...

I’ll keep you informed if you’re interested.

Le 7 déc. 2015 à 16:50, Isaiah Norton <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

<logo-uds-signature.gif>

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Arnaud Soulié
Hello Isaiah and everybody,

I tried the solution proposed by Isaiah consisting of building Slicer with the "qt-everywhere-opensource-build-4.8.6" release package from the Qt website. I still can’t load my loadable module in the (corresponding) slicer binary release.
Now I have the following build key "macosx macx-cocoa gcc-4 full-config" which still doesn’t match the "macosx macx-cocoa llvm no-pkg-config" build key of Slicer.

Does anyone have an idea about what could cause this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Arnaud

http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/Build_Instructions/Prerequisites/Qt#Mac

[...]

dispose of the e-mail.

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Folks,

Instruction to build Qt from source on either MacOSX or Linux are posted here:

  https://github.com/jcfr/qt-easy-build/blob/4.8.7/Build-qt.txt

Hth
Jc

--
+1 919 869 8849

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Arnaud Soulié
Thank you very much. I’ll try again with these specific instructions.
I’ll let you know if I’m still encountering some problems.

However, Isaiah, I don’t understand this sentence: "release build Qt is actually built from scratch"

Regards,
Arnaud

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Isaiah Norton-2
However, Isaiah, I don’t understand this sentence: "release build Qt is actually built from scratch"

Sorry: the Qt used in the Slicer release is built "from scratch" for Slicer, as detailed in Jc's link, rather than using a downloadable Qt binary package from the Qt developers. (contrary to my earlier statement).

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Arnaud Soulié
Alright, thank you Isaiah for the clarification.

I did what you suggested, and now I have macosx macx-cocoa g++-4 no-pkg-config which still doesn’t match the slicer build key: macosx macx-cocoa llvm no-pkg-config.
Arghh, It’s beginning to be annoying ! ;)

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: Unable to use a "loadable" extension on Slicer binary release

Isaiah Norton-2
As a long follow-up, because I just encountered the same issue:

In my case, the problem was caused by installing Qt5 from homebrew, which changed the framework symlinks in `/usr/local/opt/qt` (which were hard-coded in the binaries). I'm not sure why these framework paths were linked in rather than a more specific qt4-only path. The quick solution, no recompile, was:

  brew uninstall qt
  brew unlink qt
  brew reinstall cartr/qt4/qt

(to debug this, used `DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 [executable]`, which shows where the loader actually looks)