slicer in windows xp 32bit

lasso
Hi Steve,

I had the same problem (Couldn't execute
"C:\PROGRA~1\SLICER~1.200\bin\.\Slicer3-real.exe": invalid argument) on a
couple an Windows XP machine.

I've checked Slicer3-real with depends.exe and got the following error:
Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "c:\program
files\slicer3 3.5.2009-12-09\bin\SLICER3-REAL.EXE" contains errors. This
application has failed to start because the application configuration is
incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

This indicates mismatch between CRT libraries used for compilation /
available in the run-time environment.

Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9b2da534-3e03-4391
-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en) solved the problem for me.

Andras

[slicer-devel] slicer in windows xp 32bit
Steve Pieper pieper at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 4 14:55:01 EST 2009

Hi Guys -

This 'invalid argument' error cropping up with version 3.4.1 has been
reported to me before on a machine at Dana Farber and I've done some
research but haven't figured anything out.  Here's a summary of the
other case so we can pool our efforts on this.

* The problem exists on a windows xp machine administered by Partners
Healthcare (so the user did not have administrative rights when running
the installer).  We confirmed that a different Partners XP machine did
not have the problem, but we don't know what is different about the one
that does show the problem.

* Running procmon (from sysinternals.com) and watching the activity of
Slicer3-real.exe indicated that it was failing when trying to access the
c:\windows\prefetch directory.  There did not appear to be a permission
issue, but still the process was failing to start after a problem
associated with the prefetch.

* Other machines tested, running XP, vista, windows 7, do not have this
problem.  So it is possibly related to a virus scanner or some similar
machine-specific configuration.

So - Yanling - a few questions: do you have administrator access to the
machine?  Does installing with adminstrator rights make any difference?
    Are there other machines you can test where 3.4.1 does work?  Any
other "unique" aspects of the machine you are testing?

(Sorry for grasping at straws here, but this one is very tricky to
figure out...)

Thanks,
Steve

Yanling Liu wrote:
> An update:
>
> Slicer 3.4 (May, 2009) works
> Slicer 3.4.1 (Sept, 2009) does not work
> Slicer 3.5 (Nov. 1st, 2009) does not work
>
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com

> <mailto:dave.partyka at kitware.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Yanling Liu, This appears to be due to a missing vtk.exe in the
>     latest nightly installer. I will take a look to see if I can find
>     the reason why.
>
>     On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Yanling Liu <vrnova at gmail.com
>     <mailto:vrnova at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hello I get a error when runnig Slicer 3.4.1 or latest Slicer
>         3.5 snapshot on windows xp 32bit:
>
>         couldn't execute "C:\Slicer3.5\bin\Slicer3-real.exe": invalid
>         argument
>
>         Error message in details also attached.
>
>         Yanling

>         unsubscribe as the subject

Re: slicer in windows xp 32bit

pieper
Administrator
Hi Andras -

Ahh, this could be the key info!

Leonid, Yanling - can you could try the solution Andras proposes and let
us know if that solves your problem as well?

I guess the underlying question is why the libraries in our distribution
got out of sync and how do we re-sync them...

-Steve

Andras Lasso wrote:

> [...]
> figure out...)
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> Yanling Liu wrote:
>> An update:
>>
>> Slicer 3.4 (May, 2009) works
>> Slicer 3.4.1 (Sept, 2009) does not work
>> Slicer 3.5 (Nov. 1st, 2009) does not work
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com
>
>> <mailto:dave.partyka at kitware.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Yanling Liu, This appears to be due to a missing vtk.exe in the
>>     latest nightly installer. I will take a look to see if I can find
>>     the reason why.
>>
>>     On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Yanling Liu <vrnova at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:vrnova at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hello I get a error when runnig Slicer 3.4.1 or latest Slicer
>>         3.5 snapshot on windows xp 32bit:
>>
>>         couldn't execute "C:\Slicer3.5\bin\Slicer3-real.exe": invalid

Dave Partyka

Oh! Any patch to Visual Studio can get you out of sync with any redistributable runtime. What we are supposed to do is to package the version of the runtime that we built against in the installer. For example the redistributable runtime  for VS9 is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Looking at the latest stable slicer install I see we are not packaging any runtime. If you don't do this most likely any machine you attempt to run slicer on without either the above mentioned redistribution pack or bundling the runtime dlls (like we do in ParaView, CMake, etc) will crash with the errors Andras mentions. This especially likely on Machines that aren't kept up to date with the latest service packs.

There is already a cmake module that copies the runtime into the package for us so I will go ahead and add it. (InstallRequiredSystemLibraries.cmake)

Also there is another gotcha, when building with VS9. If you install VS9 SP1 there is a bug in the manifest file. The fix is to edit the version number found in the manifest file.

What you have to do is go into the following directories:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\amd64\Microsoft.VC90.CRT
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT

In these directories is a manifest file called Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest. Edit the file in both directories by changing the version number on the fourth line, from 9.0.30729.4148 to 9.0.21022.8.

So if Kathryn is building the nightly slicer package with VS9 then she needs to make the above patch.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com

<mailto:[hidden email] at kitware.com>> wrote:

   Hi Yanling Liu, This appears to be due to a missing vtk.exe in the
   latest nightly installer. I will take a look to see if I can find
   the reason why.

       unsubscribe as the subject

To unsubscribe: send email to slicer-devel-request at
massmail.spl.harvard.edu with unsubscribe as the subject